Saturday, July 23, 2011

Food and Wine

Hello all! Since Ryan has been out of town, I decided that I should make a couple of recipes that wouldn't necessarily fit his taste buds. So tonight, I made a recipe out of the June edition of Cooking Light: Bombay Shrimp Curry with Coconut Rice. It was DELICIOUS! For those of you who like Indian or spicy food, I would highly recommend this recipe. It is easy and fairly quick to make, yet it makes you feel like you've whipped up something special. Here is how to make this spectacular curry dish. (Sidenote: I cut the recipe in half, and it produced the perfect amount for one person to have dinner plus some left over)


5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups prechopped onion
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 1/3 cups hot water
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 cup light coconut milk
1 cup uncooked instant rice (I used brown rice)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (I didn't have cilantro, so I garnished it with chopped green onions, and it tasted great)

1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan.
2. Reduce heat to medium; add remaining 3 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, curry powder, and next 3 ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add hot water and peas and carrots; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 4 minutes. Return shrimp to pan; cook 1 minute.
3. While curry cooks, bring milt to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon slat and rice. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
4. Place about 1/3 cup rice on each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 1 cup shrimp mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 3/4 teaspoon cilantro (or green onions).
Yield: 4 servings

Let me know what you think if you try this recipe. I'd be curious to know if other people like it as much as I did.

Now to the "wine" portion of my post. You may have noticed in my previous post that I included a link to a website for my dad's wine. Over the past year or so, my dad has worked to start a wine business with his close friend. Because their business is located in Loveland, CO, they have appropriately decided to call it Sweetheart City Wines. Though they are in the process of making their own wines, it will not be ready for some time. In the meantime they have selected a number of choice red wines from California's wine country, and they are also searching for white wines to feature next year. I've tried each of their current wines, and I love every one of them, though the Syrah is definitely my favorite.


Part of the reason I'm sharing this is obviously to help promote my dad's new business. But I'm also sharing it simply because I am proud of what my daddy is doing. He has always wanted to have his own business, and now he is making that dream a reality. He has been a constant support system to me throughout my life, so now I want to support him in what he's doing. I am so happy that he is getting to pursue something that he enjoys, and I wish him all the success he deserves.

So one more little marketing plug :-)... The next time you're looking for some delicious red wine, check out Sweetheart City Wines. They have great selections for the special occasions in your life, and I'm not just saying that because it's my dad's wine. You'll just have to take my word for it :-).

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try the shrimp recipe...it looks fabulous! And my favorite Sweetheart City wine is the Cab Franc. Yum!

    ReplyDelete