Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Getting Motivated

Before I say anything else in this post, I just have to brag a little bit about my amazing husband. Last Friday was his birthday, and the poor guy didn't get to celebrate the way he deserved. He had to work late, so a special birthday dinner wasn't an option. Then most of the weekend was spent doing projects around our house. But he never acted disappointed about any of it. I love that about him. He is so easy-going and selfless. If things don't go the way he originally hoped, he makes the best of the situation and helps me to do the same. How did I get so lucky?!

Now for the "getting motivated" part of my post. With the extremely hot, extremely muggy weather that's been plaguing Florida, I have felt so lethargic and lazy. To make things worse, I have been craving nothing but pure junk food. Not wanting to work out and dreaming of fatty foods don't create the best combination for trying to stay healthy and fit.

While part of me wants to make excuses and say that I'll get back into a healthier routine once the climate cools, I know that I need to just get motivated NOW.

Part of my desire to stay healthy is coming from a pretty big goal that I have for the semi-near future. As some of you may know, my sister and my mom ran the Sarasota First Watch Half Marathon last spring. Well... my sister has recruited me to join her in the race for this year. I've never run more than 6 or maybe 7 miles before, so it will definitely be a challenge. But as long as I get motivated, I'll be ready to face it.

My sister and mom after the race. They did awesome!

It will be a while before I officially start training for the race, but in the meantime, I'll post some of my other goals. Having them in writing might make me stick to them more :-).

1. Exercise 5 days out of each week
2. Drink more water!
3. Practice better self-control with junk food, but allow myself a treat every once in a while
4. Vary my workouts to avoid boredom
5. Eat healthy snacks throughout the day to avoid binging on chips when I get home :-)
6. Keep a good perspective - treat my body as a temple and a gift from God, not as an obsession

If anyone has tips on getting motivated and staying healthy, please share! I'll be back soon with my own progress report :-).


4 comments:

  1. Get a workout buddy. It makes such a difference - they motivate you, hold you accountable and make you work harder! xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, summer is so hard for me to excercise because all I want to do is stay in my air-conditioned house. Good luck with your goals though, they sound like a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! A workout buddy will definitely be important for me! Good advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to your motivation post. I've been in a funk the last 3 weeks. I will try to do the same here in Kansas, maybe that will help! I agree that a workout buddy makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete