Friday, August 14, 2009

And It Begins

I have now been officially married for one month and two days. It doesn't seem quite real. Early in my life, I would never have guessed that God would have led me this direction. Not once did I dream that I would budge from Colorado, home not only to the breathtaking Rocky Mountains, but also to my family for the past twenty-one years of my life. When you fall in love with a member of the Coast Guard, however, living on the coast is a bit of a requirement.

Now I am in St. Petersburg, Florida, in a cute little apartment that I share with my wonderful husband (it's still a bit strange to use that word). I know a grand total of six people in this area, one of them being the man I live with, and four of them being extended family members. Let the adventure begin!

Even though you're slightly prepared for the load of changes the military will throw your way, I'm beginning to understand that the surprises will always keep coming. When we arrived in Florida, Ryan (my husband) learned that he would no longer be working daytime hours as he expected, but he would instead be working from the early afternoon into the late hours of the night. Right away, our sleep schedule, dinner schedule, and any other kind of schedule turned upside down. It's not the ideal situation we had in mind for our first months of marriage, but we're gradually figuring it out. Thus, my first lesson as a Coastie wife: don't make any rock solid plans unless you can handle them changing :-). I suspect that this is one of the first in a long line of works God will do in me as I follow this life with Ryan. I've never been one for change, but I think the point is to rely on His plans rather than my own.

Before I start to sound too high and mighty or deeply in touch with God's will for my life, I have to admit that I've had a few meltdowns since leaving Colorado. It's not easy to face so many changes, but I'm immensely thankful that I can look at my new husband and remember why I chose this life as a Coastie wife.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Bailey! We miss you but God is so good and I can't wait to see what is in store for you and Ryan

    ReplyDelete