Saturday, August 15, 2009

Domestic Attempts


Now that I'm a married woman, I have been putting forth my best efforts toward domestic success :-). I've always liked interior decorating (HGTV is definitely a personal favorite), but the whole cooking/baking thing... not my area of expertise.

I've really enjoyed putting our apartment together! We are very blessed to have such nice new and hand-me-down furniture to make this space more like home. Much of the furniture belonged to my late grandma and to my parents, so I feel like I have pieces of my family with me. I almost cried when we finished arranging the living room. I almost felt like I was back in my grandma's house.
Now for my endeavors in the kitchen... not always as successful. I think Ryan is as good a cook as I am at this point. But a few meals have turned out pretty well. About a week ago, I made cheese blintzes with fruit topping. Ryan and I both like having breakfast food for dinner, so I decided to try a new recipe from a breakfast cookbook we received as a wedding gift. The process was a little bit longer than I expected. The crepe batter alone has to sit in the refrigerator for an hour before using. Then there's the cheese filling to mix and the syrupy fruit topping to make. And to top it all off, you have to cook the crepes, build the blintzes, and everything still has to bake for fifteen minutes before you finally get to eat. After all the work, the blintzes were good, but I have a few alterations I would make to the recipe... if I get the energy to do it again :-). At least they looked pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment