Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Blessed

It's hard to believe that with all of the blessings in my life, I could ever find a reason to be discontent. But it happens, I am ashamed to admit. This world consistently sends us messages of materialism, self-indulgence, and of course the idea that other people have things better than we do. Unfortunately, I often pay more attention to these messages than to the true Message. I forget that my life is "a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4: 14). It is a speck of dust in the grand scheme of eternity. And not only that, but this incredibly small life that I possess on this earth is abudant with blessings.

The last couple of days, my attitude has not been where it should be. Yes, I miss my family, and yes, I am facing many changes in my life. But it is time to stop making excuses and start looking at things God's way, instead of my own. I decided that the best way to do this is to make a list of the clear blessings God has bestowed on me. When you focus on what you have, it's a little harder to complain :-).

I have...
The most loving and handsome husband
a beautiful and sweet little sister
two unbelievable parents
the most perfect in-laws
a beautiful home
a warm bed
plenty of good food
great health
a new job (at the first place to which I applied...God is good!)
the opportunity to attend college
supportive and compassionate friends
the promise of my salvation.

And that's just the beginning of how God has blessed my life! If you're feeling down today, make a list of your own.



1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed how much I continue to learn from you when it really is meant to be the other way around! Thanks for reminding me that we need to constantly focus on what we have, rather than on what we don't have. You've inspired me to go count my blessings! I love you sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete