Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Grammie

Perhaps it's because of her furniture filling up my apartment, the photos hanging on my walls, or just her unforgettable nature, but I have not been able to stop thinking about my Grammie lately. She's been gone for almost a year. So hard to believe. And sometimes I still feel like her fight with cancer was just a bad
dream-- that I can just call her up, hear her voice, and it will all be okay. I wish that was the case. I wish that she could have been here to see my wedding, to hear about how much I love the bedspread she bought for us, to listen to me telling her about everyday life. I wish that I could look forward to her sweet voice singing me happy birthday over the phone.

Even though her absence fills me with sadness and a longing to see her again, Grammie's legacy also gives me an overwhelming sense of joy and gratitude that she was part of my life. She was a woman of great faith, kindness, generosity, and spunk. I would like to share some of the things that I loved and continue to cherish about my precious Grammie.


The way she had a song for every situation
The way she called me Sugar Plum
The way I had to bend down to hug her tiny body
Her sense of fashion
Her collections of roosters, sunflowers, and angels
Her dramatic side
Her crazy stories about her life
Her faith in Jesus
Her adorable and contagious laughter
How she made fish and chips
How she introduced me to The Sound of Music
How she always gave people the benefit of the doubt
How she never sat down to eat until everyone else had food on their plates
How she loved her family with all of her heart...
And how people could not help but love her.

2 comments:

  1. it sounds like you had a really close relationship with your grandma, and it must have been really hard to see her go. I grew up with my grandparents, and can't imagine losing them. It's so nice that you have all of those amazing memories that you can cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet Bailey. Your Grammie was such a special lady and she left so much of herself in you.

    ReplyDelete