Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Something to Think About

I recently started a weekly Bible study over the book of John. The study is a very detailed look at a specific book of the Bible over the course of a year. My mom was my primary motivation for joining this Bible study, as she was part of one in Colorado for nine years. Her experience with Bible Study Fellowship International (which is the official name of the study) blessed her with a tremendous amount of spiritual growth and allowed her to develop an intimate relationship with Jesus.

After my first two weeks in BSF, I can understand why my mom loved this study so much and how she experienced such growth. This week, the study focused on the first chapter of John. I've read this portion of the Bible I don't know how many times. But my daily studies from BSF helped direct my focus to details that I had never fully contemplated.

One thing I love about this study is that it draws connections between verses in John and lines from other parts of the Bible. This week, one question directed me to identify what information was in Colossians 1:16 that was not in John 1:3. These verses are very similar, but Colossians 1:16 talks about how all of creation was not only made through Jesus Christ, but also for Him. Focusing on this part of the verse really made me think about my true purpose in life. I was created for God... to enjoy Him, glorify Him, and connect with Him in a deep relationship.

Another part of the study this week got me thinking more about my life's aim and purpose. John 1:6-9 gives a glimpse of John the Baptist and discusses his work in life. These verses state that John the Baptist came as "a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe." His primary purpose for living was to proclaim Christ's coming and to reveal his saving grace to everyone he encountered. I am sad to say that this is not typically my main goal in my day-to-day life. I need to be more bold in my faith so that I also can be a witness of Jesus' love. Definitely something to think about...

5 comments:

  1. You're the second person that I hear talking about this Bible study this week! I have never heard of it, but I will check it out now. It seems like a really cool idea. By the end of it you will be an expert as far as the book of John goes :-) Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good Bible Study! I like what you said in the last paragraph about living more to proclaim our Lord's coming - I could do a better job of living that way myself!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog - it's so nice to meet other Christians on here! I'll be checking back! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of my favorite things about studying the bible. I like to break down each story detail by detail and go over it slowly. You get a much deeper appreciation of His word and you see how God speaks to you personally. You inspire me Miss Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so are these bible studies all over the us? i would love to join a bible study. my church doesnt have anything related to my age group. i've been looking around, but haven't found a bible study group that i fit in.. :(
    but you definitly inspired me to keep looking! so thank you!
    great post! loving your blog!!
    xoxo,
    LenkaLovee
    p.s. thank you so much for you lovely comments on my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved hearing what you are learning about! It is so fun to learn or rediscover things about our faith. I am learning so much in my bible study too!

    ReplyDelete